Friday, June 14, 2013

Annabel is 26 Months Old!


Our sweet little Annabel is 26 months old now! She's the most adorable, sweet, little girl you could ever meet! We love watching her personality really shine and develop these days. She's got cute ideas, cute words, cute little moves, and even some fire in her (if you know what I mean!)...we love her to bits!

So, a few new words, although there are a ton- these are a) heard most often or b) super cute, and sometimes both! Annabel loves to say "own"- as in my own, my own sunglasses, my own bed, my own puzzle (hence not Daniel's!), etc. "Stay" is another one Annabel will say when she just wants to stay somewhere instead of go out or when she wants me to stay instead of do some chore or something- she really asserts herself and makes her wishes known! "Now"- I'm sure you can figure this one out- Annabel of course wants something "now!" "New one"- I don't want that one, I want a new one. We love "kay" for okay- it just sounds so cute coming from her. And new this past week is "HEY!"- as in "Hey! Don't do that!" Again, this is just a cute word coming from a two year old, I think.

And in other communicating news, Annabel is finally starting to put two or more words together. It still sounds like separate words/ideas to me, but the concept is there. For example, she will say, "Juice, Mommy, Meijer"- and she is saying she wants "mommy juice" (which is how she specifies that she wants orange juice, because that's what I drink most apparently) and I have to go to Meijer to get more; so like I said, the words are there, they are in succession, but I'm still not getting the full idea of phrases or sentences- but maybe that's just me. I do think this is a huge step for her to at least get these words out all together in pretty much the same breath! It's very exciting to finally hear these ideas of hers put together.

Annabel's most confusing communication has to be when she indicates "not." I'm not sure when I will ever get this straight, it's taken a while for it to finally sink in what she's saying because it's part visual and part verbal so you have to be watching her closely. Annabel will shake her head while saying the thing she doesn't want- for example (shakes head) "Mommy", which means not Mommy, or (shakes head) "white", which means not the white ice cream. Like I said, this just means you have to watch Annabel when she talks, not just listen, because otherwise you'll think she does want the vanilla ice cream (because that's what you heard her say), you'll dish it up, and then you'll have a fit-throwing two year old who really just wanted "brown!" Fun times. If we could just teach her the word NOT, we'd save a lot of trouble!

Cute story of the month: One day a couple weeks ago, I dropped some coins on the floor. Annabel immediately picked one up and said "Bye!" and began to explain: "Money. Shop. Store," and then proceeded to go sit down in the front hallway and pretend to drive to the store, "vrrrrroooom" complete with arm motions, scoots and all! Too funny! 

One thing I love this month is that Annabel rarely wakes up crying anymore (well, except in the middle of the night). She just calls out "Mommy!" I love this new development- it's just so nice to finally have her waking up happy in the morning or after naps, and not always crying. It's much more fun to get a happy child out of bed! Annabel also insists on "Mommy, (shake head) Daddy!" If Ben tries, then there are tears; I have to go, which is okay because of course I love those good morning smiles, best way to wake up!

We also LOVE the way she's trying super hard to hold her fingers up for counting. She does it in the super cutest way; I think I have a picture somewhere which I'll try to post someday. Anyway, she basically puts her index finger down with her thumb and holds up the other two or three fingers, middle to pinky, and says "two!" It just looks so awkward, cute, and funny all at once! And those little fingers all squished together...I die. Too cute.

Annabel is falling asleep much more easily and quickly these days. She loves to read books for her bed/nap routines, and it must be several books, one or two will never do, and sometimes she insists on reading them "own" (by herself). We do love our snuggles with books! Then I'll put on a CD, she'll grab whatever random stuffed animal lovey she desires at the moment (Annabel has no specific lovey, it really is random and whatever is nearby, but they do have to be facing in and tuckable under her arms, and if she wakes in the middle of the night, you can bet they will ALL be in her arms waiting for us to come get her and them!) and we'll snuggle for about ten minutes and she's out, I can lay her down in bed, she might shift to her side but will go right back to sleep...so nice! Sigh. Now, if we can just get her to lay down and fall asleep on her own without the rocking and snuggling and falling asleep in mommy's arms. Still, I do love that snuggle time with her, I'm not in a hurry yet.

Annabel is also starting to sleep through the night a bit more, maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and when she does, we make a BIG deal out of how she slept in her own bed all night, and she's super proud, "OWN!!" with big smiles and her super cute new giggle! And yet Ben and I just look at each other and we both say how we missed her in our bed, too...it's bittersweet, those nights; so we still like the times she is in our bed, while at the same time, it's really nice to not get kicked all night by the two year old! We can get the best of both worlds now & then and that's great!

Annabel is REALLY into doing puzzles these days. She loves Daniel's 12, or even 24, piece puzzles lately. She is pretty good at matching up the pieces, too. She has a steady hand, a good eye, and she is just super proud and excited when she does get pieces put together! We're heading to the "project" store (Daniel's name for a local toy store) this week since they're starting their free summer crafts again and I'm planning to treat both Daniel and Annabel to a new puzzle, just for fun. Daniel is also super into puzzles these days; some days lately that's all he wants to do, round up all the puzzles we have in the house and put them together, huge floor puzzles, small puzzles, 12 piece, 24 piece, 35 piece, and even some 48 piece puzzles- it's tons of fun. And of course both kids are fiercely independent! No help needed from me, or from each other for that matter, ahem. Anyway, I know I can count on the project store to have some perfect 12 piece puzzles for Annabel and some awesome 35 or 48 piece puzzles for Daniel...I can't wait!

Annabel still loves to draw, paint, play with playdoh, read books, play with cars, play with food, pretend to shop, and she loves to go outside. Annabel still also loves to do whatever Daniel is doing, in fact she copies him like you would not believe. It's cute to watch her trying to do whatever he is doing, she's trying, she's watching at the same time as she's trying so it comes out all wobbly, it's pretty hilarious to watch sometimes! I love their sweet playing together moments. We love to sit in the kitchen and listen to them playing up in Daniel's room. And I just remembered another funny thing Annabel does- Daniel will say, "Annabel, I have something to tell you," and Annabel will cover her EYES, not her ears. TOO funny- cracks me up! Love it.

Annabel also LOVES our friends Delilah and Asher and their mom Patricia- she would play with them every day if she could, she's always asking to see them. They are like extended family to her. I've joked that when their family is around, we are third wheels and quite forgotten to Annabel- she will curl up in Patricia's lap, hold hands and play with Delilah and so on...never mind that I'm her mommy and still right there! Though I know she does love us all so, too! I've also noticed at parks and such, when there are big kids around and they are of the calm sort, Annabel looks up to them so much, she loves their attention, which they freely give out because she's so little and cute of course, and Annabel starts to get really brave and try things on her own, she seeks me out a bit less when there's company at parks. It's been interesting to notice. Again, never mind that I'm right there, too!

So that's our brave, independent, sweet, adorable little girl in a nutshell this month! Annabel has only to look at us with those bright blue eyes, smile that sweet little grin, and laugh those sweet laughs and giggles, and oh, her self-confidence and pride, those sweet sharing moments (which she's super proud of), those wonderful tiny kisses, those awesome hugs...and we melt. We just melt.

No comments: