First I have to say Annabel really wanted to look nice on her birthday. She wanted her bangs trimmed, she had a dress all picked out to wear (though because it was cold- we actually saw snow flurries on her birthday- she had to layer up under and over that dress, poor kid), and her Party Time headband all set out, and she wanted her nails painted. She also really wanted wavy hair for her birthday- so she braided it the night before and when she woke up she took it all out and voila- waves! Darling! All her planning was so adorable. (Note- her birthday at school would have been picture day- hence the dress newly purchased, well in advance of all this of course, and all picked out already. She still wanted to wear it all- and why not! A birthday is a day to feel good and feel fancy!)
Ben and I had the most fun setting everything up the night before her birthday. I wanted banners all over the house, so I rounded up whatever I had in the basement from years past and put them ALL up. Banners were everywhere! I also wanted her room FILLED with balloons. Now, I can't blow up a balloon- not sure why, but it's not something I could ever do, so this part was all on Ben- good sport he is, he blew up close to 40 balloons. We waited till late in the night when we thought she'd be asleep, opened her door and started just pushing them in one at a time. Funny thing- Annabel wasn't asleep! I'm pushing balloons in her room and I hear a kiss sound, I kiss back, thinking it was Ben, Ben turns around and says did you just kiss, I said yes you did so I did, he said he did not. Hmph. I kissed again- it was Annabel! She was still awake!!! Darn it. She did say she really couldn't tell what we were doing- not sure if she was trying to make me feel better or what, but still, hmph. I couldn't believe it. Oh well. I still had a lot of surprises in store for her. And this was still a fun unique treat to have all these balloons in her room to wake up to!
One more special touch, besides the banners everywhere and balloons filling her room, was that we strung streamers down from the balcony railing to the ceiling above Daniel's Lego table, so that it looked like a tent in there. That was such a magical, special, and unique touch just for my darling girl's 9th birthday! We'd never done this before. Ben did an awesome job doing this for me! It turned out great!
Annabel woke up early on her birthday- she said she just couldn't wait! She woke me right away, because she'd wanted me to shower first and be completely ready so I didn't have to leave her later once everything was open and we could check it all out together- clever strategy. We had previously agreed she wouldn't have to attend remote learning that day (neither kid would, though they would have to make up their missed work...it turned out both kids went anyway) so we dove right into presents! It was so fun to surprise Annabel with some special things. Books, markers, a ukulele song book, an adorable Stitch Jim Shore wooden carved figure, a new bigger Stitch hoodie (she was outgrowing her other one!), Lego Dots sets (they make "useful" things- pencil cups, photo holders, jewelry stand, etc- very cute), and her big surprise, the main gift, was a special Stitch canvas art piece from Disney for her bedroom walls. It's a darling picture and she'll treasure it and have it forever. It features Stitch with a Hawaiian pizza in the picture- perfect for our pineapple pizza loving girl!
(Side note- I had actually done most of her shopping way before the quarantine, so we were pretty set for her birthday presents. Some things were ordered online and those all came on time. I was not worried at all and it was so nice to have planned ahead! Good on me. Tootin' my own horn!!)
After opening her last present, which was a lotus flower necklace from Aunt Kathy, Annabel decided to put it on right away and get dressed while she was at it. So she ran off to do that and then we gave her the first clue for her mini scavenger hunt. Ben made the clues and they were good- better than I ever come up with! Annabel had to really think and hunt for each clue location. It was so fun to watch her think. The prize was two full size candy bars! The last location was a place where you'd see your big smile (answer was the bathroom mirror..candy was hidden in the drawer- so fun!).
Next Annabel built some of her new Legos, which really are so cute. Then we ate her chosen breakfast since it was done baking- Mommy's French Toast (overnight French toast, which is a real treat- as it's SO sugary and takes time to make, as opposed to French toast made right there on the stove top like Daddy does). Yummy breakfast!
At this point, Annabel decided she would like to get her school work done after all, so the kids disappeared to their rooms to work on this for a while. During this time, snow flurries started to fall. I'd also heard from Grandma Cheryl to expect a delivery sometime that day. Sure enough the doorbell rang just as Annabel came downstairs from finishing her work...I had her answer and there waiting on the porch was a really fun and big balloon bouquet for our birthday girl! She was tickled! The cats were delighted, too- so these balloons had a quarantine of their own in Daddy's office for the daytime, so she could visit the balloons, and then later were moved into her bedroom to really enjoy them there. Such fun balloons!
One of the reasons Annabel wanted to do her school work was that her teacher had planned a Google Hangout she really wanted to attend- a round of their BrainQuest game! Annabel LOVES when they play this and she did not want to miss out- she'd been waiting and waiting for her teacher to do this game during their hangouts. This was scheduled for 1:00, so we arranged the rest of our day around this. (It turned out that he did not do BrainQuest as advertised after all, which Annabel was SUPER bummed about- that was the whole reason she "attended" school that day! Poor thing. Oh well.) We had lunch- quesadillas (the kids are on a major quesadilla kick for this quarantine- pizza for Daniel, cheese for Annabel- easy enough for me and we always have those ingredients on hand!). We made plans for Grandma Mary Kay to come over before the hangout began and Grandma Cheryl to come afterwards. It all worked out really well.
I had one quiet moment when the kids were off doing school work where I sat and looked at the magical happy family room and just all of a sudden felt sad. Suddenly I felt pinned down. Of all the days in this quarantine, today was the first I truly felt pinned down. We couldn't go anywhere fun, do any of the fun things Annabel would have like to have done, and all. (Though Annabel didn't really blink much of an eye at this when it came down to it- she was totally fine, which was good and made me glad- she never once wavered from her feeling of utter joy all day, bless her heart.) The day stretched ahead of me right then and for a brief moment all I could see was the things we couldn't do, all I could see were past years and the ways we'd spent our day celebrating our fun adventurous girl who loves to go go go and do do do. I felt pinned, like she, this beautiful spirit, this beautiful butterfly, was pinned. I had to quickly get out of this mind spiral, but there it was ever so briefly. In the end, though- truly, the day was perfect. Maybe not ideal- but really perfect because it simply brought us together, closer, and we found our fun right here at home, a place filled with LOVE and gosh could I feel this love and spirit in our house that day- we are SO blessed.
We did all the birthday celebrating with grandparents social distance style in the garage! Saturday we'd done all our Easter fun outside, but the sun was shining then. On Annabel's birthday- it was very cold and not sunny at all. So we pulled the car out and hosted family in the garage for a bit of shelter and yet still not close quarters. It's so hard to not just invite all in for a second, but this is the right thing to do. Annabel was delighted that both sets of grandparents came to see her. She loved all her presents from them- a series of cooking things from Grandma Mary Kay including a handmade chef's hat (Grandma said that was hard to make without a head to measure, lol!) and a delightful Stitch themed apron, plus a binder of recipes for Annabel to make; and from Grandma Cheryl, Annabel got the Villainous game expansions she really wanted and the latest Little Women movie, which she also really wanted. Grandma Cheryl also gave Annabel a whole bunch of those party blowers which we all had fun tooting and blowing for quite some time! That there was a present in itself! So fun! Air hugs were given all around as each grandparent left. It was a happy time.
After Grandma Cheryl left, we immediately came in and played one of the new Villainous expansions. So glad to have some new games! The mail came at some point bearing a present from Aunt Amelia and Uncle Brian- two adorable art kits which Annabel was excited about. A few friends had also left cards for Annabel in the box, too, which was sweet. Dinner was crepes filled with ham and cheese which Chef Annabel helped make while wearing all her new chef gear- so cute. The crepes were delicious. Daddy does a good job with those. We also really enjoyed the Strawberry Fluff I made for her that morning while she did school work, too. She planned a good menu- that's for sure!!
Just as we were cleaning up dinner and getting ready for a bike ride, Aunt Christina texted to say she'd left Annabel's present on the porch. We opened the front door to AMAZING birthday posters drawn by Christina (she's an awesome and talented artist!) and taped all over the storm door wishing Annabel a Happy Birthday! Tears sprang into my eyes and sparkles filled Annabel's- she was delighted! Christina was in the driveway in her car, so we waved as she pulled away, I cried (it was the first time I'd seen her since all this), and Annabel brought her present inside to open right there in our foyer. But first Annabel stared at the posters some more and of course I took pictures. The posters are darling- a girl doing a handstand in front of giant 9, Stitch with a birthday cake (amazing picture- we're framing this one!), and a poster saying Annabel is so loved (from afar). All the sweetest! Annabel was delighted with more fun games from Aunt Christina- a cat logic game, which keeps her busy, and Harry Potter Scrabble which has been the game of the week for some time now. AND- it started Annabel's obsession with all things Harry Potter. More on that later! So yay!!
Annabel and I took a very chilly sunset bike ride after all that poster and present fun. All day she had been wanting to take a bike ride, but we just had to wait for a good time. This was our last chance and it was a delightful, albeit very chilly ride! (My legs and fingers were SO numb!) We enjoyed the sunset as we rode, the chilly breeze in our faces, and all the while my sweet sweet birthday girl was blowing me kisses- kissing her hand and throwing the kisses behind her back. I kept thinking how blessed I am with this sweet thoughtful loving girl! Those kisses were the sweetest and the best.
After we warmed up back at home, we sang Happy Birthday to our darling Annabel and enjoyed the most delicious Buster Bars for her birthday treat! 9 candles on that cake! Plus a really fun rainbow ombre (how perfect is that?!) number 9 candle, too!
What an amazing, special birthday for Annabel all around! It truly was a magical, wonderful day. I can't think enough good things about the whole day, really. Everybody made it so special for her. In the end, she said it was the best birthday ever! I'm so glad! Annabel's face the whole day- LIT up! Made my heart sing.
Happy Birthday, darling girl! Can't believe you are NINE!
Alright, tons of pictures ahead!!! Enjoy!
Monday April 13th- We cut Annabel's bangs. Started outside, but ended up indoors since it was too windy. Daddy did a good job. And Annabel- she's darling.
Daniel helped make the Buster Bars that Monday night since they needed time to set. I really didn't want to spend Annabel's birthday in the kitchen cooking. We had everything made in advance where possible. I thought it was just so sweet that Daniel wanted to help.
Last night as an 8 year old! Dream in glitter, that's my girl. New pajamas- so cute.
Nails painted silver and gold!
Annabel worked VERY hard to sew 9 stuffed stars for a birthday banner! They all turned out darling! For the sake of time, and also so we can add more stars in the future, I simply pinned the stars to pink ribbon and voila- banner made!
Ben and I worked very hard the night before Annabel's birthday getting all these banners and streamers up everywhere around the house!!
Family room in progress. Thank you SO much for doing this, Ben!
I wanted this Party Time banner to be the first thing Annabel saw when coming down the stairs- so I hung it over the stairs! Why not? So fun!
Ta-Da! Family room streamers are all set!
This birthday girl was up bright and early on her birthday! She wanted me to be all dressed and ready before we went downstairs (so we didn't have to interrupt her fun/play/explore new presents time after all the opening fun), so she sat and read in bed while I showered. SO cute and so happy!
I wanted Annabel's floor literally FULL of balloons- it wasn't quite full but we were close and she was delighted anyway!!
We hung our traditional streamers in front of the birthday kid's door! The cats had already torn one down however- darn cats. Oh well. Annabel still loved it!
The fun began...Annabel noticed and loved all the banners. Me- I watched her face the whole time because her eyes just kept getting bigger and bigger. So cute! Awesome reactions all around!!
The morning sun hit this banner just so. It was sparkling in the best way!
Annabel kept marveling at all the kitchen banners and Daniel said, "Annabel, just look at the family room already!!!" She did. Check out that face!
I think we succeeded in creating the most magical family room!
Koala hug for my 9 year old! Love that we can still do this!
Ready for presents!
Darling wavy hair.
What a special present, this Stitch canvas art piece- and check out that lit up face!!
Annabel loves her new necklace from Aunt Kathy- she wears it daily now!
Scavenger hunt time!
The look. Just for Daddy. He must have said something ridiculous, haha.
Thinking hard about the next clue.
She's very close- she's in the place where you can see your big smile when you find the treasure!
YAY! Candy!
Time to play!
Yummy French Toast for breakfast! She's so cute.
If you look closely, you can see the snow flurries.
Special Delivery- a Balloon Bouquet! How fun!
Special Driveway Birthday Message!
Grandma Mary Kay and Grandpa Larry stopped by- so fun!
Adorable chef's hat, Stitch apron and a cookbook of Annabel's own that she can add to as we find new recipes. All so cute.
Air hug time!
More fun- Grandma Cheryl came, too!
Those party blowers were a hoot! So fun.
After quite some time of that blower fun, Annabel finally got back to the rest of the present. Like I said, those party blowers were a present in themselves! First up- a birthday girl pin, which was cute.
Movies and games! This will keep us well entertained for quarantine! YAY!
Annabel brought out the balloons to show Grandma Cheryl. Cute!
Back inside, game time!
Dinner made by Chef Annabel!
Cute kitty.
Surprise! Posters from Aunt Christina taped to our door! The sweetest- what a treasure this was. Thank you, Aunt Christina!
You Are Loved! (from afar)
Tears in my eyes, that's for sure.
And look at this amazing Stitch! We'd already decided on the spot that we're framing him.
More present fun- from Aunt Christina.
Harry Potter Scrabble and a cat logic game- so fun!
Sunset bike ride was next, then warming up, and then ice cream cake time- Buster Bars! Yum!
Happy Birthday, darling girl! 9 candles and that perfect ombre 9, too!
Make a good wish!!
These bars were seriously good. We were so sad when they were gone!
Such a magical, wonderful birthday!
Happy 9th Birthday, Annabel!!




















































































































No comments:
Post a Comment