Not much to report this week. Our weeks are looking much the same anymore.
In the news- our governor shared a five phase plan to reopen our state. I read through it and wondered where everything in my normal life fit in- hair cuts, family parties (we are a group of more than 10 after all), Annabel's still much anticipated gymnastics team practices and meets (I'm thinking not at all, unfortunately- those can't possibly be under 50 people when all is said and done; in slightly related news band camp was cancelled, which we expected of course, but it is still disappointing), any type of summer travel plans, pool time (???- yikes, this would devastate Annabel, too!)...and of course restarting school in the fall- How could that happen in this new world? So I start to fear how the transition to middle school might go. Sigh. Like I said, trying to stay in this moment and and this day. It's all I can do.
Otherwise, it was a new-normal week with not a lot different going on. Zoom art. Zoom read alouds (which both kids enjoy, but Daniel is the one LOVING it which I think is awesome!). We draw. We read. We have actually watched less TV this week, weirdly enough- just, busy, I guess (and that's not a bad thing at all, just it was less TV this week). I finished a puzzle. We did some watercolor painting. The kids had their last full week of school. Two more weeks of 4 days each. Yep- that means only 8 days left of remote learning. I'll miss it and I won't. The structure is nice, but I think a lot could be improved to make this a much better use of time and a more effective instruction practice. Anyway, we walk. We walk different routes. We had a freeze warning at the end of the week. We play basketball. We play Harry Potter clue. Annabel's friend dropped off a book in our mailbox (we happened to be outside playing when they came, so we all chatted car to driveway distance- it was fun).
Friday night was the one night that was quite different...and a ton of fun. My entire family got together on Zoom to play games! We played nearly 4 hours and had a blast. My kids entertained themselves, popped in to see what we were doing now and then, and sometimes Annabel joined the fun. She loved the drawing and choosing and voting and inventing (some of the games were however rather adult games if you catch my drift...we'll just direct her to my family for any questions she might have, ahem). It was so good to see my family together, parents siblings spouses and all, and it really was a great night of fun and laughter.
That game night was our Mother's Day weekend get-together and it couldn't have been more fun. My parents did stop by on Saturday, which was my dad's birthday as well, and that was our in-person-but-socially-distanced Mother's Day visit. They brought us a coffee cake sampler, which was so sweet and would be a wonderful Mother's Day breakfast for us (it was- it was delicious!). We chatted a bit in the fresh air and then off they went. I found myself desperately wishing I could give my parents big, tight, strong hugs. The urge to run over and just hug was so strong. I think that's one thing I'm looking forward to most.
Ooh- one bit of fun news, our library is about to offer curbside service for picking up books on hold! I'm ecstatic!! It starts May 11 and I can't wait. In fact, I already have one book waiting (it was a book we'd put on hold and was in transit to our branch right when this all went down, so there it waited)- I have to make an appointment, pull into the parking lot, call a certain number to let them know I'm there, and then they'll bring our book out and drop it into our trunk or open window. Different world, I'll tell you. I'm not necessarily in need of any books at the moment, but it's really nice to know we have access to a tiny bit more than before, and in any case, it'll be quite an experience when we do these curbside pickups, something to say we did, something pretty unique and specific to our times, I think.
Completely random thought of the week: I think Target might be the store I miss most. Ben did a store pick-up for me the other day and walked around the grocery store portion of the store briefly for a few things and he commented how it just felt sad. I can't even imagine. I love that store. I was actually jealous of sending him to pick up my order. Sigh.
I just keep sighing.
On to pictures.
Here's Annabel next to me reading Harry Potter on the screened porch, Cosmo under her feet. So cute.
Another puzzle finished. I did this one by myself, too! I'm quite proud. (It wasn't all that hard, it's not like it's a great achievement, but still, so fun for me!)
Cosmo found a new spot to curl up in- Daniel's pants drawer. The cats have always opened these drawers, but I don't recall finding them sitting inside before. We thought this was adorable. I was reminded of my childhood cat, Shelly, and how she'd sit in this cubby in an old dresser in my sister's room- we'd just find her tucked inside there. So cute. Fun memory.
More Instagram fun. Oliver Jeffers drawing and telling the story of the book eating boy. Wild how amazing his drawings can be in a matter of minutes. I could never. I'd be erasing and erasing and doubting and pausing. Not him though, he just swoops through it like he does this everyday (which he might well do).
Annabel made this poster for a friend's birthday video. So cute!
Watercolor painting fun!! I have had the most fun dabbling in watercolor paints over this past year. It's a fun new thing for me. I'm watching online watercolor art lessons like crazy right now (I have the time, after all!). Annabel had a Doodle Crate with a watercolor painting activity (the paintings will be part of a calendar), so we spent a delightful morning painting. Here are her pictures and mine are under that. Simple but fun.
Cosmo kept us company while we painted.
I have had this in mind to make for ages and finally did it. It turned out beautifully, I think. A mother's day treat. :)
Ben and I played a game one night and Ziggy tried really hard to fit in this small box. I give up.
Ben and Daniel finally finished the Lego Disney World Train Station. It's pretty awesome and darn cute. The train runs using an app on the phone, too (of course), so Ben and the kids had fun playing with that.
When the paintings Annabel and I did were dry, we put the calendar together. It's so cute. Annabel wanted it to start in August, so that's the month in front for now.
My family getting ready to play games together on Zoom! Christina and Jason hosted on their game account and we had a blast.
The kitties kept Ben and I company while we played.
Annabel joined the fun now and then, too. She liked the drawing, inventing, and voting.
That's our week! I'll be back again next week with more same ol' same ol' I'm sure.
























No comments:
Post a Comment