Wednesday, January 10, 2024

A New Hobby: Tunnel Books

I have found a new hobby! 

For years, I'd admired an artist on Instagram who makes these "tunnel books" and I'd always wanted to try one. This artist makes them more garden-like, using leaves and flowers and they really are pretty, but I wanted to take it a step further and make more of a themed book. Christmas made for the perfect theme! And one day, I decided to just go for it. I had to start somewhere.

My goal is to make it more of a book rescue art project. I want to use what I have on hand as much as I can, or certainly what I can find cheaply. To me, all images must come from books or magazines or other print material- no printing from a computer. I collect books from the used bookshelf at the library, used book sales, I keep what Annabel wants to get rid of, I scour used book stores, and so forth...so I have a lot of source material to work with. My Christmas tunnel book idea started with a few Golden books and it took off from there and voila! I LOVE how it turned out! It's SO sweet! 

After I made that practice one for myself (which took nearly 10 hours, mind you- so much cutting, into the book and intricate cuts around images...it's all a learning curve too!) I immediately wanted to make one for my mom and quickly (well, okay, after another 10 hours more like) whipped another book together. Hers came out beautifully!

I have lots of plans for future books and can't wait to make more in 2024!! What other themes shall I make?? A Disney one is high on my list!

No comments: