Friday, April 22, 2016

A Fancy Family Birthday Party, Too!

This past weekend, we celebrated Annabel's 5th Birthday with our family party! Annabel was thrilled to have all her grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and cousins here to celebrate. She was also quite delighted with the prospect of another party, although she was convinced she was turning 5 and a half for this party...because of course, she was already five, since her birthday was last week, so now she must be older. It was cute how she processed all this!

I set the party up pretty much the same way as the friends party in terms of decorations, except that some things moved into the kitchen, family room, and even outside since it was a glorious 80 degrees for this party! The kids also had fun putting their own touches on decorations. Daniel made a hanging number five, which was so sweet. He was also inspired to spell Annabel's name with streamers, which of course Annabel wanted to try doing, too. It was interesting to watch the two of them figure it out on their own, just feet apart in our front hallway. Daniel tired out by the time he did A-N-N, but I made him finish what he started- he wasn't getting away with just those three letters! Annabel, on the other hand, totally powered through and got all the letters done all on her own with absolutely no pauses- you go, girl! Anyway, such a fun personal touch made by the kids- I loved it.

This time the treat was cookies (it was parfaits for the friends party). That's what the birthday girl wanted. At sorta the last minute (Saturday afternoon, the party was Sunday)- I came up with the idea to make a giant cookie cake with our number 5 cake pan. I was just glad I remembered that I had this pan! So, we had a giant cookie 5 and several dozen cookies...all to Annabel's delight!

Annabel got her number one party wish- to open her presents outside! She was too funny- back at the beginning of April, it was still about 30 degrees outside and Annabel was quite indignant, "Daniel got to open presents outside. I want to open presents outside, too, but it's TOO cold. It's NOT FAIR!!!!" Classic little sister. But who could blame her? I asked if she'd rather celebrate in June instead when we could more likely guarantee warmer weather- she said no that was too far away. So when the party day rolled around and it was indeed super warm, we had the happiest five year old around...we couldn't have been luckier to have such gorgeous weather! (Although at one point she did say it was too hot! She even moved into the shade to do presents at one point...aiyiyi. Can't win!)

We had a really nice party- the kids all ran off and played, we did presents, we ate cookies and snacks, we played a couple of the new games Annabel got (Twister was so fun to watch!), and we all just had a great time celebrating this amazing five year old!

Annabel sure loves all her new presents, and again, we've spent a lot of time enjoying them and playing with them every day this week so far! Thank you all for coming and celebrating with us!


 Annabel looks so big and grown-up here- I simply can't believe she is FIVE!!!



Annabel picked these colors out for her cookie cake- Ben decorated it. I wished I had pink, though...still, it turned out GREAT!



Annabel's hallway streamer name!
(Those are lowercase n's on the top)


Daniel's hallway streamer "Annabel" decoration!


Welcome to the party!
We're all decorated and ready to celebrate!




We had our family sign the book with the feather pen, too!


Josie signs the book with Amelia!


Ready to open presents outside! So fun!







Annabel LOVES her new doll from Aunt Christina. This was Christina's American Girl doll when she was little and Annabel is just delighted to have her own American Girl doll now (we get the catalogs all the time, so she knows about these dolls- and this momma will NOT be paying full price for any of that; it's rather torturous to get the catalogs). Thank you, Aunt Christina, for such a special doll! Felicity- or rather Charity, as Annabel has renamed her ("but I might change my mind and name her something else later")- has basically not left Annabel's side since Sunday! She loves to brush the doll's hair and change (or rather, have me change) the doll's clothes.





Such determination in changing the doll's clothes...and no wonder, I can barely do it, too! Still, it is fun! (And I'm getting better at it!)




FIVE candles on that cake- what??? HOW did that happen?!?!


My darling girl was just so so happy!



Play time!




No comments: