Tuesday, October 5, 2021

The Return of the Alumni

One Saturday in mid-September, the high school where Ben and I both graduated waaaaay back when, ahem- I mean just yesterday, had an Open House to showcase their newly remodeled spaces. I was so keen to go and so glad the day worked out such that we could attend. First, Annabel had a soccer game early that morning, and then we pretty much hightailed it to the high school so we could have time to see tour the building and still get back home for Annabel and Ben to go camping with friends that night. Tight schedule, but we did it! 

It was so fun to see the high school all redone- it looks so different now! We were both trying to remember how it looked then and what's new now. And of course it's all beautifully done, regardless what we remember- very fresh and new and updated. Annabel was wishing this would be her high school! Especially once she saw the culinary classrooms! Top notch space. I found the preschool classroom where I did a child development class and taught, I found the area where my locker was (though I don't remember which locker was mine...I do remember the code, haha!), we went into the redone auditorium where I played in many orchestra concerts, we saw the pool which made Annabel want to swim, we went into the library, we found a green room which was fun, we saw the art rooms (totally new space, clear across the building from where I did all my art classes), the newly redone cafeteria spaces, and so on. We saw both levels of the new wing, the gym, that auditorium, and all the main floor spaces which are just about all redone. It was a really fun couple hours. And so fun to have my kids with me for this trip down memory lane. A little wild to have that come full circle, picturing me there then and now me there with kids, one of whom is only a couple years away from his own high school years, which is very weird to think about. 

Here are a few pictures from our tour that day! No flashback pictures though, haha- I couldn't even begin to find one...

Main atrium

Culinary room- wowza! Annabel was very jealous!

 The green room. The kids are "wearing" stress ball helmets they were giving away for the Open House. Cute.

My locker was in this bay to the left... (it was across from the teacher's lounge, which is no longer a teacher's lounge)

I taught preschool here. So fun. I remember doing a lesson on caterpillars and butterflies. I had a paper towel tube decorated like a caterpillar on the outside, we wrapped it up and behind my back I pulled out a butterfly from inside the tube. That I remember very clearly. The kids' faces lit up at my "magic"- it was precious!!

The new wing. Very nice space.

Triangle desks?! Wild. I can't imagine using those. Where do you put stuff, haha?!

More of the new wing from upstairs.

The newly redone auditorium.

This isn't exactly redone- this gym, but we both clearly remember many an assembly here...ahem, Mr. Mustang/Daddy.

Redone cafeteria space. Funny, I have zero memory of the cafeteria from my days there. 

Fun trip down memory lane that all was! Not that I loved high school. I was so keen to get to college mainly. But, Ben and I both went here, we met while on a high school trip to Spain, so this is sort of where we began...

No comments: