Daniel has also figured out a way to manage click and drag activities- he simply uses both hands! He figured this out pretty quick. We have an advent calendar on our computer (my Aunt Kathy sent it to us and we LOVE it!) and one day the activity was to decorate a tree with ornaments, garland, and lights. Daniel loved this of course! The activity was a click and drag activity, and at first Daniel wanted me to help- I clicked and held onto the decoration while Daniel drove the mouse and dragged it to where he wanted it. Then he wanted to trade- he clicked, and learned that he had to keep holding it, while I dragged. Trading places was his idea and what a fabulous idea- because he learned very quickly what click & drag meant and now he uses one hand to click and hold while the other hand drags. This floored me! He's so clever and such a quick learner.
I've also been teaching Daniel how to double click to open things- such as our advent calendar or the websites he likes, which I've created shortcuts to on my desktop. We currently frequent Curious George, Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse (or really anything Disney!), and our old favorite KneeBouncers. Daniel's attention span for these games and activities is really good. We do try to limit his "screen time" but he does learn so much from so many of these activities that we don't mind too much. It helps that I'm able to feed Annabel or put her down for her nap while Daniel is occupied this way, too! Yes, he's that independent!
I mentioned that we have this advent calendar that my Aunt Kathy sent us- well, Daniel is so excited every day to play the advent calendar. (He also loves our other two advent calendars as well- the ones where we actually hang a new ornament on the advent calendar trees-he reminds me every night to get the next pieces out! He still thinks he gets to put more on after naps, though! Nope- just in the morning, Daniel!) Anyway, I was thinking back to last year when we had the Village Advent Calendar (we have London now)- Daniel would tell me what he wanted to see and I would do all the navigating. I remember how excited he was then, how much I loved snuggling up next to him each day just to see what the next number had in store for us, how much his vocabulary expanded just doing the advent calendar every day. What a difference a year makes! Daniel is still learning new words as always of course, he's still just as excited like I said, we still snuggle up to see what's it store for us, but this time, he's doing all the navigating. I just marvel all the time at how much Daniel has learned, how quickly he learns, and how fun it is to watch all the growth take place. I just keep thinking- what's next...and I can't wait to find out!
Here are a few pictures of Daniel having fun on the computer.
I just LOVE how the computer takes up his whole "lap" and just his feet stick out...so cute!
I love the look on Daniel's face here...so intent and so interested!
Daniel even got "work" with Daddy one day this week while I took Annabel grocery shopping. To say Daniel loved this would be an understatement- Daniel LOVE LOVE LOVED this! I'm such a smart mommy for suggesting this idea to Ben (Daniel was napping when I left)...because it was clearly an awesome idea! When I got home, Daniel could barely contain his excitement- forget about those groceries, I needed a chair to join him- Daniel got one for me, Annabel needed her toys- Daniel got those for her...and so there we were, all in Ben's office "working." Such fun! And since Daniel is so independent on the computer, I do think Ben did actually get some work done, too! Everybody was happy!


No comments:
Post a Comment