Friday, July 13, 2012

Slumber Party!!!

On the 5th of July, our power went out. It went out around 4:00 PM, while the kids were both still napping. When they woke up, we decided to go out to dinner since we really couldn't cook (well, we could grill, but it was still 100 degrees outside at the time). After dinner, we tried to dawdle and take our time going home, hoping the power would be on then, by running a few errands. We got home around 7:00 and the power was still out. As bedtime drew near, it became Decision Time! The debate: Stick it out...hope the power will go on relatively soon (house temps were 87 degrees upstairs last I looked and 82 on the main floor)...or head to either grandma's house where it was nice and cool. We actually decided to stick it out, believe it or not. It really didn't feel too bad in the house. I don't think the temps got much hotter than 88 upstairs where we never went and 82 or maybe 83 on the main floor- it really was manageable to us, we decided.

So, we had a slumber party in the family room! And we had a great time actually. It was a lot of fun! (Sleeping in the basement was not an option for me...I didn't really want to sleep with the spiders, thank you very much, and Daniel was completely against sleeping down there because "it's scary"- I didn't blame him one bit.) So, we brought Daniel's mattress down and set up Annabel's pack and play. I slept on the couch. Ben was going to just sleep upstairs, since he didn't mind it one bit, but Daniel exclaimed "NO! Daddy, you're too special to me, I want you to sleep right next to me!" and quickly set up Ben's pillow next to his mattress. SO sweet! Well, Ben couldn't argue with that, so it was decided, we all slept in the family room. The kids had a ball running around, semi-naked- Annabel in just her diaper and Daniel in just his pajama shirt and underwear, playing with flashlights (which was the only way I could see where they were!), jumping onto Daniel's mattress, and just running in general. It was a loooong time until we finally got everybody in bed because they were so wound up! The whole thing was really just too funny to watch. I wished I could take a video, but of course with it being dark it wouldn't have been the same, so I just tried to take few shots with my camera in the dark. You get the idea anyway!

We all slept very well, actually, well maybe not poor Ben on the floor, but we all kinda slept in, and that, to me, means we slept well, because I was so sure the kids would be up at the crack of dawn because of all the light on that floor. They surprised me by sleeping until their usual times. And Annabel, my baby growing up so fast, only woke up once that night. The power finally went back on at 3:00 AM and I could instantly feel the cool air kick in! That sure felt good! So, really, we survived just fine. Daniel has been keen to have our power go out again so we can do that again. It was kinda fun in the end! But we were sure glad our power went back on.

Two shots in the dark of the craziness my kids were up to!



And of course a few shots of my babies sleeping the next morning...well, Daniel is pretending in his picture since he woke up a little bit before Annabel and I asked him to quietly lay there for a while longer until she got up, which he did amazingly well. I do love Annabel's "butt up" position!



No comments: