Another fun note I'll mention here is that the kids were very keen to get each other gifts this year. I've never pushed this, I've always wanted it to be their idea so it came more from the heart and the goodness and fun of giving, not something they had to do- it's like everything else I do, I want the motivation and idea to come from them, it has always worked out best this way I've found. So it came about like this- Daniel mentioned, about 5 days before Christmas, that he wanted to get something for Annabel, more specifically, something to do with Dora, and he wanted to go to Toys R Us to look for it- he had it all planned out. Of course it didn't hurt that he got to look at toys he wanted, too! We had a great time shopping just the two of us and found the perfect little Dora doll and puppy set, which of course Annabel just loves. Annabel was excited to get her turn to shop for Daniel the next morning while he was at gymnastics. She wanted to get him something Spiderman (she ever so matter-of-factly stated "I got Spiderman dollar wif me!" while reaching in her pocket to pull out her penny) but the selection at this Toys R Us was not great for Spiderman, so we ended up with what I thought was the perfect "my first" Star Wars spaceship (plus a few other last minute things for both kids which totally went past her!). She and I had a lot of fun, too. The kids were super sweet about thanking each other for their gifts once opened, too, all full of hugs and kisses like they are a little more these days. Christmas has been good to us this year!
Anyway, back to Christmas Eve, after enjoying a family outing (hopefully the start of a new tradition?) to see the movie Frozen, we headed to Grandma Mary Kay's to spend the afternoon and early evening there for Christmas Eve. The kids took their coats off, basically dropped them and ran to see what was under the tree. Do you think they were excited to open their presents?! They most certainly were. We did stockings first and then presents. They pretty much opened their presents at the same time (and continued to do this all throughout Christmas Day as well) so it was a little crazy to watch and chaotic to see what all they got and who it was from, but it was oh SO fun that way! I think it's supposed to be this crazy, I liked it like this- it feels super festive and fun, I think! They were just having a ball, which is just the best. And of course as soon as the presents were all unwrapped, next came opening up the packages and playing with all the new toys! So fun! I think I'll let the pictures tell the story!
I'd forgotten to take a picture of the kids looking all spiffy before we left the house, so I made sure to take one first thing at Grandma's! Annabel, as always, was more than happy to pose! Such a cutie!
Daniel finally joined her! But I cannot for the life of me get him to look at the camera- he's always looking off to the side; still, he's super handsome and I just love his arm around his sister!
And Annabel even got a kiss from her brother! They are quite huggy and kissy lately!
Annabel loves her grabber!
Daniel checks out his stocking goodies!
Reaching in...
These telescopes were a BIG hit!
Annabel thought she was too funny- she had just "tricked" us- "What else in my stocking?" (reaches in...) "My HAND!!" She was quite pleased with herself.
Checking out the telescopes!
Time to unwrap presents!!!
Yes, Annabel is blurry here, but this expression on her face, we get it all the time- cracks me up!
Annabel LOVES her new pink penguin hat that Grandma Mary Kay made for her! And I think her expression here is too cute- one of my fave pics!
"These cars have REAL working parts!!!" Daniel was very excited to get these cars- he'd seen them before and really wanted them.
Super cute (and pink!) waitress dress up outfit!
Annabel helps Daddy open one of his presents, too!
Time to try out the new toys! First up- Annabel's new pink! roller skates!
These cars were first out of the packages for Daniel!
Grandma Pat and Grandpa Bob gave the kids these awesome dress up outfits! So cute! Perfect for my little cook Annabel and my little emergency guy Daniel!
Annabel played waitress for the longest time, asking Grandma Mary Kay what she wanted and then filling up her tray with any nearby toys as "food." It was so fun!
At one point Annabel just started spinning and dancing. She may have had some extra energy. She may have even been a tad overtired. She may have needed a little attention. She kept saying, "Everybody watch ME!" and only then she would dance. Annabel would even turn the crank on Daniel's crane that he had just built with his new building set and then spin away- it was as if she was literally winding herself up! She was so funny! Here's a video, too!
After the kids had some time exploring their new toys, they moved on to some quieter things- building with Legos (first up- tow truck of course!) and drawing with crayons in a new notebook.
After dinner, Daniel had had enough of the building and exploring new toys, so he headed downstairs to play with Daddy and Grandpa, while Annabel stayed upstairs with us girls. Mary Kay and I started to play our card game- Annabel quickly finished up her drawing and wanted to play, too. She was happy with the un-needed joker cards at first, but then wanted more so Grandma found her a deck of Go Fish cards and a card holder and she was super happy to play just like us! We loved her company...though we had to be careful not to show her our cards since she does actually know her numbers and letters!
Daniel oh-so-sweetly asked Annabel at one point if she wanted to play with him downstairs. I simply love his hand on her back as he talks to her- such a sweet gesture, though you can tell she's really debating going down with him or staying and playing with us! She's such a girl these days and really enjoys quieter activities- her personality is really coming through, I've totally noticed a big change in this past month.
I just loved watching Annabel having fun playing a card game of her own! Such a big girl!


No comments:
Post a Comment