Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Authors Galore!

Our last week in September was super busy...with meet the author events, believe it or not!

Annabel and I have fallen in love with a darling series called the Vanderbeekers, by Karina Yan Glaser. The first one was so cute and when Annabel (& Daniel) won the Donuts & Amazon shopping with the librarian back in the spring, she chose to buy the second book in the series, which we quickly devoured and loved even more than the first book. So when I saw a third book was coming out this fall, I knew I would buy it right away. But first I had a hunch the author might be coming to our local bookstore and gosh was I right- she was indeed! I knew that she would be a great author to meet since we loved her books so much. Annabel was thrilled and we couldn't wait for the night to come. We also could hardly wait to start reading the book! And- we were signing line ticket #1- I had been the first to call and order our book to meet the author!

I whisked Annabel from art that Tuesday night (she'd worn a special dress for the occasion, too- definitely covered with a smock at art!), and with a lap full of McDonald's chicken nuggets and fries to eat in the car, we headed to our author event. We picked up our book and shopped around the store while they set up, since we were so early, and then we grabbed our chairs up front. We watched as the author arrived and set her things up and then proceeded to greet people. Annabel began reading immediately, too. Karina was darling- so personable, so sweet, and she had great stories for us about her journey and her family and her illustrations based on her own pets and all. It was a wonderful event. I just loved her. I am so glad we had the chance to meet her! And she signed our book in the cutest way, even adding a little kitty stamp. So sweet. We got a free poster and pins, which Annabel donned immediately (and wore to school the next day!). The poster went up on Annabel's door as soon as we got home, too. Anyway, such a fun night for us!

Karina mentioned that she wrote the first book during a NaNoWriMo challenge. Annabel didn't miss a beat with this comment- she was thrilled to discover that this existed and asked me all about it. We bookmarked the website in her folder on my computer so she can peruse that at her leisure. The challenge starts in November, but of course Annabel is always writing- she doesn't really need a challenge to do so. But still, she's excited about the concept and it's so fun to see that she picked up something new from going to meet an author. That alone is so cool.

I got some cute pictures that night! It's so fun meeting authors and I am always looking for more coming our way.

Speaking of more- I did say galore...(although I guess two isn't technically "galore" but still...), so read on for my own amazing author meeting!








Back in August I'd found out that the author of a book I'd read and loved- Richard Powers for The Overstory- not only won the Pulitzer Prize for the book (I'd missed this news I guess) but was also coming to the Arboretum for a chat with a naturalist about his amazing book. I knew immediately this was something I'd just love and find interesting. I loved the aspect of his meeting with a naturalist. My sister, who'd given me the book for my birthday last year, said she'd love to go with me, too. The event was sold out, it turned out, but I put us on the waiting list and then about a week before the event they called and asked if I still wanted in. You bet I did! I was so excited!

Christina picked me up early so we could head up and be there with plenty of time to find parking, find the building, and then wait to be let in to get seats. It was beautiful night, too- great weather. And it was just so nice to have some time with my sister- we don't get that often, time for just the two of us; that alone was special. A friend of mine (who is a professor and a serious reader) was also there, as I knew she would be, and she found us as we waited, too, and then also sat with us inside. The event was packed- over a 150 people were there! I was so glad we were among them.

And the night did not disappoint one bit! I could have listened to Richard talk all night long. He was really amazing and insightful. It was very interesting to hear how his journey with writing this book went, and how it ended with his living in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains now, because, well- trees, old growth, and all the history and healing behind forests. He read us a passage (and commented that even now he was still "fixing" it- writers are always writing and editing after all!) and it was just lovely. It was Patricia's passage about thanking the trees for everything they give us, much like the Prayer of the Woods signs I so loved in Michigan- "Thank you for all these gifts that you have given.” Not knowing how to stop, she adds, “We’re sorry. We didn’t know how hard it is for you to grow back.” Sigh. Perfection.

The naturalist that Richard talked with was wonderful as well- he asked good questions and provoked a lot of thought and insight. They took questions from the audience after their wonderful chat (some orally among the audience and some via smartphone believe it or not, so wild!) and really I just didn't want the night to be over. We got in line for signing and meeting the author personally and he was lovely. He signed bookplates for us to stick in the book, a neat idea. I was just so glad that we got off the waiting list and Christina and I were able to see this guy. It was an incredible night and one I won't forget.





No comments: