Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Road Trip Round 2: Michigan- Days 3 and 4

Our Michigan fun continued on Day 3, Monday, July 22, in Dearborn with the Ford Factory Tour, followed by an afternoon at Greenfield Village. The factory tour was very cool! So fascinating. We spent over two hours just moving from station to station and very leisurely watching the workers put together various parts of the Ford F-150 Pickup truck. We all thought this was so neat to watch.

Next, after lunch, we headed to Greenfield Village, an outdoor history museum complex featuring many original houses and buildings (moved to this museum, of course- what a feat) such as Ford's childhood home, the Wright brothers' home and store, Edison's labs, and so much more, with a few other buildings as recreations of course. I particularly loved the recreation of the cabin where George Washington Carver was born; it was paneled with wood from all the different states, which I thought was particularly meaningful, a nice message of unity. I also loved the message above the Heinz building doorway- "Where We Began." I loved that marker of time and history; I love "back-stories" and for our family, I love sharing our back-story and how we began with the kids, so this window just tickled my fancy. Greenfield Village was just chock full of neat original buildings and recreations for many historical figures or places, and the addition of old cars driving down the streets made it all so charming. Annabel fell in love with stilts, as that was one of the hands on things to try. Go figure. The day also included a stop in the candy shop, which delighted the kids! And of course an ice cream cone complete with sprinkles all over! A fun day all around!

We spent Tuesday, Day 4, visiting Great-Grandma Pat and Great-Grandpa Bob and Great Uncle Tim. We also went out to lunch with Great Uncle Steve and Great Aunt Robin. A nice visit altogether, with the kids telling jokes, Grandma Mary Kay french braiding Annabel's hair (which went on to become an almost daily tradition for the trip! Annabel LOVED her braided hair! She was quite dismayed I couldn't do this, though I did go on to practice later in the summer...a feat that took 45 minutes to even get one decent braid, whew!), and just in general catching up. Of course we hit the pool at the hotel that night, too.

My favorite memory from visiting Grandma Pat and Grandpa Bob...I just have to share because it's the sweetest...I adore the way Grandpa Bob (who is rather blind) reaches out to feel next to him, as if making sure Grandma Pat is still there. Just now and then, the hand will slip to his left and there she'll be and back his hand goes. Also this trip, he kept saying "my wife"- my wife this and my wife that. I loved this. The sweetest!

More pictures!!

Day 3- Monday, July 22- Ford Factory Tour and Greenfield Village

This living roof was very cool. This was part of the factory tour, getting a sense of the different buildings where things happen in the whole complex.



Pictures were not allowed in the factory, but we snapped this group picture afterwards.


Greenfield Village fun!
Annabel tries out stilts!




Ben tries out stilts, too. They are surprisingly hard to manage. I tried them, too!





Recreation of George Washington Carver's cabin.


I loved how the states contributed different woods to this Carver memorial. Such a nice tribute and show of unity.



Thomas Edison's Fort Myers Laboratory and Menlo Park Office.




Annabel makes a thaumatrope.Very cool.


Kids in a candy shop!!




Outside of the now-candy shop. It was once the site of Sir John Bennett's Jewelry Shop in London and was originally five stories high. When it was moved to Greenfield Village, they shortened it to two stories. Interesting.



The Wright Brothers' Home. Very cool. Their shop was here, too.
(I think my favorite part was the color of the porch ceiling!)



Window in the Heinz House. Loved that- "Where We Began."


Annabel models old fashioned hats in one store.



Ford's Home. Very interesting to hear how he'd hunted and searched for things to put in the house that were as he remembered them. Must have been some hunt!




Day 4- Tuesday, July 23- Visiting Great Grandma Pat, Great Grandpa Bob, and Great Uncle Tim

Grandpa Bob and playful, good sport Annabel!


Oh to be so limber!


Putting Annabel in the cage.



Pool time! 
"Routines" by Annabel, plus races and more fun!




Annabel shows us her strong swimming skills.


Annabel doing a "routine." Very cute. She started doing these when we were in Florida. So fun!


No comments: