So imagine all of our excitement when we saw a skateboarding camp the kids could do this summer! I thought hallelujah!- yes, go, learn! And you know what- that camp was magic!! The instructors were two really great young guys who were so encouraging, so fun, and so there for the kids. I was impressed with these guys. They knew what they were doing. It was a camp well worth it from moment one when they greeted the kids before meeting me and giving me information. After the kids' first day at camp (yes- they were even in the same age bracket and could go together- even better in my book!) they were totally able to go! They could make their boards go straight and they could turn so they didn't end up in the grass and they could go the distance! It was so fun to watch! I was amazed.
The kids loved their new skills and had the most fun trying them out in our neighborhood. In fact, after just the very first class, they were so confident of their skills they wanted to use the skateboards to go to the park (which is not all that close). We didn't actually make it to said park- we got about a block away and Annabel decided she'd really had enough could we go home and Daniel readily agreed. That didn't stop us from going to the school park later (much closer) and riding the blacktop and parent drive there (no sidewalk bumps- much smoother).
We'd also quickly learned that in going cheap for skateboards, Daniel's had plastic trucks which wouldn't allow him to turn (even once he'd learned how). I learned a lot of skateboard lingo that week! So I spent one morning while they were in camp running around to stores to find a better skateboard for him. Target for the win! The instructors were impressed with the one I found, too, so- yay! (They were all, "Check out this deck!" and excited for Daniel to bring his new "deck" the next day!) Daniel LOVES that new board, too, and it really is so much better. Lesson learned. Annabel's board was perfectly fine, though we did get her a bigger board like Daniel's, too, because apparently different skateboard styles can do different things and are for different purposes. Like I said, I learned a lot that week, too!
We went out just about every night to another skateboard park in our area so the kids could practice, too. So not only were they at camp two hours a day, we were at the parks and out in our neighborhood practicing another half hour each day. So awesome! So much practice. It was great. And Ben and I just LOVED watching the kids learn and grow. Annabel quickly demonstrated her fearlessness and learned to love ramps. Daniel warmed up well, but truly just enjoys the repetitive back and forth motion he can do on the half pipe- it's soothing.
And the best part- we'd already decided we loved this camp so much and these instructors were just so great that we wanted to do another week of skateboarding camp! It was something Ben and I wholeheartedly supported. So, a few weeks later, we were back and this time camp was at the bigger skateboard park we'd taken the kids to for extra practicing. We thought this was even better- the kids could try out different ramps and such all with the support of their awesome coaches. Win win all around!
I can't say enough good things about this camp. We're so glad we did it and the kids are already talking about doing it again NEXT summer!
Enjoy MANY pictures- and videos!
Day 1-
Day 2-
Day 3-
Day 4-
Another day of practice on our own!










































No comments:
Post a Comment